Brother and Sister Love

Katie's birthday party

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Today, a week ago, I traveled to Wilmington to see my dying 97 yr old Grandmother. Her sudden illness came as a shock to us even at her age. Grandmama was one whom we thought would live to see 100 yrs old. Even at the age of 90, she was driving, going to the mall and walking. She had a spirit to not let old age pull her down. Over the last several years her mind would go back in the past. Just around the time of her 97th birthday on July 3rd, Grandmama told us she was 64 or 83 at the most. She said "I can't believe I'm 3 yrs away from being 100.

On this day a week ago, I was able to tell her how much I loved her. I will never forget that as I was leaving she said "dont' go". Grandmama loved her family and always hated to see them leave.

This past Sunday, we buried my Grandmother at the cemetary across from the church where her annual family homecoming was taking place. As part of God's perfect plan the burial fell on this particular day. She always loved to go to the family reunion and wanted all her kids and grandkids to attend. Nothing would have made her any happier than to know all but three great-grandkids and two great-great grandkids were the only ones unable to attend the reunion. As sad as this loss was for us, we all celebrated in the fact that this would have thrilled her.

As a family, we realized even more this time, the importance of making special memories. The grandkids and great-grandkids gather for photos knowing these would be cherished in days to come. The chance of us all coming together again at this location and on this date would be very unlikely. We're all very thankful that we had a wonderful Grandmama who instilled in us the value of family. draft 9:26:00 AM by Joanie Delete

1 – 1 of 1

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tribute, Joanie. I am adding you to my blog favorites.

    ReplyDelete

HAPPY "GOTCHA" DAY

HAPPY "GOTCHA" DAY
Our forever 'sweet pea" age 3yrs old